Login
Get your free website from Spanglefish

Minutes 2021

 

Minutes of Elie and Royal Burgh of Earlsferry Community Council meeting held on 2nd March 2021 via Zoom

Present:  Shelagh Mackay, Angela Anderson, Angus Meldrum, Nicola Hetherington, Grizelda Cowan, Patricia Ritchie, Sandy Bingham, Councillors Linda Holt, John Docherty and Bill Porteous.

Apologies from: Jim Robertson, Bridget Sneddon,

No new declarations of interest.

Minutes from February meeting: minutes proposed by Angela, seconded by Angus.

 

COUNCILLORS’ UPDATES

Cllr John Docherty

John is still campaigning to make the Fife recycling centres more accessible to those who are not able to book on line. He is pressing for a booking method via phone as is the case with other councils. He will be attending N E Fife Area Committee meeting tomorrow where this should be discussed.

All necessary road works in the East Neuk have been identified but as yet there is no date for repairs to be carried out.

Cllr Linda Holt

Linda echoed John’s points re recycling centre and confirmed that she will contact Cllr Vetraino to request an effective telephone booking system.

With regard to road works repairs she explained that the potholes have not been attended to as they are not considered emergencies. She is continuing to press FC to attend to them and has launched a petition to demand that they be seen to with some urgency - http://chng.it/KCjYYZx4

Cllr Bill Porteous

Bill has spoken to John Mayhew, Strategic Manager for Scottish National Parks with regard to area of East Neuk and Landward being considered as a National Park.

Bill also expressed his concern about the numerous potholes in our area and appreciates that we are beginning to lose faith in in Fife Council. He hoped the FC might consider using Fix my Street website, the UK's best-known site for reporting street repair issues & getting them fixed.

The sink hole on Boat Wynd is as bad as ever. Cllr Bill Porteous has already asked FC for this to be fixed. He will ask again!

 

SEASONAL ISSUES

Traffic and parking in villages

The meeting agreed that there is now some urgency to address the expected problems in the coming months. Linda confirmed that she would speak to Lesley Craig who has taken over from Colin Sterling to request some short term measures to address the problems.*

Trisha requested that we have some signs to advise cyclists not to cycle along the one way streets the wrong way. **

Alex Nairn has been asked if Nairn Park can be used as an ‘overflow’ car park during busy times and it was agreed that some signage for this would be required.

Speedwatch training has been taking place but no one from Elie/Earlsferry is participating.

Bin collections

In order to address the constant problem of overflowing public rubbish bins at busy times Shelagh has requested that we have more bins, that they are emptied more frequently particularly  at weekends and that we should investigate the option of compostable bins such as those at Crail. It is apparent that FC has a problem addressing seasonal peaks as it is really only during busy times that we experience these problems.

Public toilets

The toilets at the harbour are to be open for longer but as yet we have no details.

Dog fouling

There is increased concern over this problem. Bill stressed that this is not a problem solely caused by our visitors and that in many cases it is the residents’ dogs who are the culprits.

 

CHARETTE UPDATE

Shelagh has received an email from Graham Meacher from the EAG suggesting that some actions proposed in the Charette should be taken forward. There is an EAG meeting on 9th March where this will be discussed.

 

PLANNING ISSUES

It was noted that planning for the two large developments at Wadeslea and the Grange have been approved with some conditions. It was noted with some concern that many of the councillors on the Fife Planning Committee had very little knowledge of the area and that the members of the CC were very disappointed with the whole process. There was some confusion with regard to the social housing and Alex Nairn was able to confirm that the plan is to have 24 houses with a 50/50 split between social rental housing to be managed by Kingdom Housing and mid-market rented housing to be managed by Elie Estate.

 

EAG GROUP

The EAG has requested that funding from the Common Good Fund be made available in order to pay for the pollarding of the trees on Toll Green. It was agreed that as it has not yet been possible to ascertain who actually owns Toll Green,  the CC are unable to grant or deny permission to  pollard the trees on Toll Green. There was concern expressed about the impact such action would have for the resident rooks, the funding request was not approved.

 

CYCLE PATH

There is a planned walk round Elie and Earlsferry on Wednesday 17th March to address cycling issues. **

 

POLICE REPORT

There is hope that the Community Speedwatch programme can get going.

In the last month there were 10 calls from our areas with no reports of any major crimes.

 

SOCIAL MEDIA

Elie and Earlsferry CC Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/ElieEarlsferry :

People reached – 556

Post engagements – 256

Likes – 3

Elie and Earlsferry Chat Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/390596588820883 - continues to grow and now has 789 members with regular posts every day with some lively discussions.

 

AOCB

Alex Nairn requested opinion from CC on presence of motor bikes being permitted in public areas popular with walkers. The meeting agreed with Alex that these were not desirable but that that a one off organised event on private land might be an acceptable plan.

Post meeting-email request:

Earlsferry Town Hall Limited requested the sum of £12,500 from Common Good Fund to help fund the cost of urgent, essential repairs including installation of a new boiler. This was unanimously agreed by the email.

Date of next meeting Tuesday 6th April 2021 via Zoom. As usual this will be a public meeting and members of the public will be invited to join.

* Since our meeting Cllr Linda Holt has contacted Lesley Craig who is being been very proactive and is seriously looking into ways in which our traffic congestion problem can be alleviated.

** Following a walk round the village with SUSTRANS several issues were identified:

  • Roundabout at the bakers
  • No specific parking for bikes at any of the car parks
  • Temporary parking restrictions in High Street
  • Bank Street/Links Place - narrow with a lot of parked cars
  • Woodside to Wadeslea blind junction
  • Crossing point at the school - increased signage to slow cars down
  • One way streets – Earlsferry High Street, Admirality Lane and the Terrace
     

All residents and visitors are invited to complete this survey - https://form.jotform.com/plumpie/earlsferrypittenweempath?fbclid=IwAR2L6w6fX5UeZFV58I-epWlr802XvILq1qcPBXRbc14BLdQIKQn7B23SOzk

 

***************************

Minutes of Elie and Royal Burgh of Earlsferry Community Council meeting held on 2nd February 2021 via Zoom

 

Present:  Shelagh Mackay, Angela Anderson, Jim Robertson, Angus Meldrum, Bridget Sneddon, Nicola Hetherington, Grizelda Cowan and Sandy Bingham. Councillors Linda Holt, John Docherty and Bill Porteous.

 

No new declarations of interest.

 

Minutes from January meeting: One error - figure in the EAG bank account should have been £3678.94. Corrected minutes proposed by Angela, seconded by Nicola.

COUNCILLORS’ UPDATES

 

Cllr Bill Porteous

Bill put forward a proposal that that the area of East Neuk and Landward be considered as a National Park with following aims;

  1. To conserve and advance the natural and cultural heritage.
  2. To promote the sustainable use of the natural resources of the area
  3. To promote understanding and enjoyment of the special qualities of the area.
  4. To promote sustainable social and economic development of the communities of the area.

 

Cllr John Docherty

John is still campaigning to make the Fife recycling centres more accessible to those who are not able to book on line. He has attended a meeting with Environmental, Economic and Scrutiny Committee and is pressing for a booking method via phone.

 

Cllr Linda Holt

Linda has questioned Fife Council with regard to the large potholes on the road outside Elie towards St Monans. She noted that these have been in existence for weeks, several cars have sustained damage and still no work has been done. Instead there are traffic lights set up to allow motorists to avoid them. She reported that she’d been informed that the problem has been caused by rising water and that Scottish Water, having been contacted, had reported that it was nothing to do with them. Linda has requested that the potholes be fixed temporarily and the traffic lights removed while bigger investigations are undertaken.

QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC

A neighbouring resident raised several problems relating to the chip shop, Chip Ahoy, in Rankeilor Street including lack of storage for commercial bins, opening times at odds with permitted hours, access to water supply, covered smoke detectors, noise and odours seeping into neighbouring houses and lack of fireproof walls and ceiling. Cllr John Docherty who is on the Regulation and Licensing Committee, agreed to look into this

 

TRAFFIC AND PARKING IN VILLAGES

We look forward to welcoming visitors back to our villages. A discussion was held about the likely impact of a large number of spring & summer visitors to the villages. Robbie Blyth has produced a document with suggestions of how traffic and parking problems may be addressed and an overall traffic management plan is in discussion with FC and FCCT. A local resident from Liberty has contacted CC to advise that they are unable to enter their driveway when cars are parked opposite. This will be included in the traffic management plan.

In addition FCCT, & FC are to be contacted to discuss areas including toilet opening hours, rubbish collection, parking. All members of CC to send comments to Shelagh ASAP to enable a wish list to be prepared for discussion.

 

CHARETTE UPDATE

The playpark sub group has identified some funding sources and is now in talks with a contact at Fife Council – meeting planned for Wed 3rd February.

Cllr Linda Holt recommended setting up a constitution and investigating possibility of utilising another’s bank account – possibly EAG. Angela agreed to discuss this with Graham Meacher. Cllr Bill Porteous suggested that they contact Helen Ironside of the similar group at St Monans and Cllr John Docherty recommended talking to Kate Holly at Kingsbarns CC.

 

INFRASTRUCTURE AND REPAIRS

Shelagh informed meeting that she had received emails re proposed installation at the harbour of electric charging points. FC currently do not have any funding available for the installation of charging points. Shelagh is waiting for more information on this.

The sink hole on Boat Wynd is as bad as ever. Cllr Bill Porteous has already asked FC for this to be fixed. He will ask again!

 

PLANNING ISSUES

With regard to the applications for the developments at the Grange and Wadeslea the North East Planning Committee meeting will be held remotely on Wednesday, 10th February, 2021 at 1.30 pm to discuss and make a decision.

This is a virtual public meeting and can be attended on a ‘just watching’ basis by anyone.

This link will take you to the Agenda and all the relevant papers including the committee papers along with the officer's report:

https://online.fifedirect.org.uk/news/index.cfm...

The officer's report recommends both applications being given conditional approval subject to legal agreement.

 

SOCIAL MEDIA

There has been a discussion on Facebook Elie and Earlsferry Chat - https://www.facebook.com/groups/390596588820883 - on the presence of motor bikes on the beaches, Fife Coastal Path and in the woods at Kilconquhar.

In order to clarify the legal situation Robbie Blyth of Fife Coast & Countryside Trust has issued following statement:

FCCT do not give permission for petrol or diesel powered vehicles to be on the Coastal Path, the beaches or any other land that we manage on behalf of Fife Council and private landowners. This includes motor bikes. To drive a petrol or diesel powered vehicles without the land owners / land managers permission is a statuary offence under the traffic the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 34) and I would advocate zero tolerance and that the matter is reported to Police Scotland every time with registration numbers (if possible) or a description.

For those who wish to explore the open countryside and land, familiarity with the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (SOAC) is advisable. Please see:

 

https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/sites/default/files/2018-05/Publication%202005%20-%20Scottish%20Outdoor%20Access%20Code.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0I9JvqH6-235FOHOpaMiL718lMSPFJ23RO3pK8P9WjvdfoE3BXWL_r5u4

The CC has received an email from the Cabinet Off, Government Digital Office advising us of the necessity to ensure our website is accessible to all. This is being investigated by Shelagh, Grizelda and Angela

 

EAG GROUP

It was agreed that the CC Chair would contact Graham Meacher of EAG, as a sub group of the CC, to avoid duplication by two groups.

 

AOCB

Jim robertson has agreed to produce a paper on the true meaning of re-wilding as opposed to a cost cutting exercise.

 

Date of next meeting Tuesday 2nd March 2021 via Zoom. As usual this will be a public meeting and members of the public will be invited to join.

 

*******************************************

 

Minutes of Elie and Royal Burgh of Earlsferry Community Council meeting held on 6th January 2021 via Zoom

Present:  Shelagh Mackay, Angela Anderson, Jim Robertson, Angus Meldrum, Bridget Sneddon, Nicola Hetherington, Grizelda Cowan and Sandy Bingham. Councillors Linda Holt and Bill.

Apologies from: Patricia Ritchie Cllr John Docherty

No new declarations of interest.

Minutes from December meeting: Proposed by Angela, seconded by Nicola

Chairman’s Report

Everything to be covered in meeting.

COUNCILLORS’ UPDATE

Linda Holt

ENCEPT have again offered help to anyone needing support during the pandemic – find out about all their activities by visiting their Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ENCEPT.UK/

Linda reported ongoing discussions at FC re traffic problems. Following several proposals from Robbie Blyth of FCCT Colin Stirling is to set up a series of walkabouts and Zoom meetings.

Cllr Bill Porteous

Bill put forward a proposal that that the area of East Neuk and Landward be considered as a National Park. Linda explained that, based on her previous experience of a similar proposal in another part of Scotland, this is a long drawn out process which, in her opinion, would have little chance of succeeding.

CHARETTE UPDATE

There is now a small playpark group which will take forward funding applications. They have already been in touch with other playpark groups which are also looking into funding possibilities. They are still waiting to hear back from Ian Wilson from Fife Council who has taken over responsibility for Parks and Recreation.

INFRASTRUCTURE AND REPAIRS

The meeting was delighted to learn that the repairs required at the footpath by the school have been completed.

It was noted that there are some serious potholes in and around our villages and that numerous requests have been made to FC that they should be repaired with some urgency.

PLANNING ISSUES

The meeting was informed that FC Planning have requested that the planning applications from Elie Estate for the developments at Wadeslea and Grange be given an extension till 12th February.

SOCIAL MEDIA

Facebook Elie and Earlsferry Chat - https://www.facebook.com/groups/390596588820883 - has been set up and is proving to be a very useful mouthpiece for businesses and locals alike. Already it has 524 members and enjoys a lot of activity.

TREASURERS REPORT

Total of £5878.20 in bank of which £3678.94  is in the Environmental  Action Group’s account..

 

Date of next meeting Tuesday 2nd February 2021 via Zoom. As usual this will be a public meeting and members of the public will be invited to join.

Click for Map
site map | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement